Davis Reading Program for Young Learners
The Best Start: Young learners deserve the best start we can give them. Strong research evidence suggests that children who are exposed to Davis methods at pre-reading or primary level (age 5-7) benefit in the following ways:
- They are highly unlikely to develop a learning difficulty
- They are significantly more likely to qualify for gifted program referrals
- Their basic word recognition will be among the highest levels expected for their age group
The Davis® Reading Program for Young Learners is an individualised learning enhancement program with a licensed and trained Davis Facilitator. During the program, the Facilitator will work directly with the child and at the same time provide hands-on training and guidance to a participating parent or other family member.
The program goal is to give children aged 5-7 the best possible start at the outset of their learning career. Its aims are:
- to provide lifelong learning skills to younger children through a partnership between Facilitator, child and parent(s)
- to give one or both of the child’s parents, or a support person, sufficient confidence and skill to continue working with the Davis Young Learner’s Kit after the program
- to provide children with the conceptual skills needed to develop reading fluency and comprehension
The Davis Reading Program for Young Learners provides important tools to beginning readers. Through the unique partnership philosophy of the program, parents or other family members gain the skills needed to provide the child with ongoing quality support.
Learning techniques and activities are keyed to the developmental level of the child, so the child experiences success in a fun and playful setting. Through active participation in the program, the parent gains the knowledge and tools needed to continue supporting the child’s learning at home.
As part of the program, students will always receive the Davis Young Learner Kit for Home Use. This to be used at home following the program. The parent will be provided the instruction manual from the kit at the start of the program.
Used with Permission © Davis Dyslexia Association International
Photography by C.L.A.Y. Learning